Pages

4.10.2013

I can't believe how slack I've been on this blog. So much has happened!!

I went to Cambodia last May with a medical team. On our off days I got to see a few ministries that work with / minister to traffic victims & karaoke girls. Bloom is an awesome sweets shop that trains girls rescued to bake & make beautiful cakes / cupcakes. They have been highlighted in several articles & the royal palace has ordered several cakes from them.

Precious Women works with karaoke / bar girls. These girls start out singing / entertaining the men but soon realize to make any money they will need to do much more. Precious Women offers them a way out by offering training in other vocations & a place to stay if needed.

Daughters Cambodia is a wonderful organization!!  They have a super-delicious cafe atop a store. The store sells merchandise made by rescued men & women. There is also a spa in the back of the store. All employees have been trained and are working towards building a better life for themselves.

In February of this year I went to Guatemala for the first time. I fell in love with that place & her people. It was the first time I could truly imagine myself living in a foreign nation. So many things to consider. There doesn't seem to be many organizations working with trafficked children even though reports say Antigua is a child-sex tourist destination. Prostitution is a big business in the whole country according to the ministers we were with. I was able to meet with a couple of men who have different organizations there and they closely work with one particular church. The pastor & his family were adorable and very interested in the fight against trafficking. One of their members was trafficked by her husband and they have been a tremendous help in getting her paperwork & trying to help her be independent.

We ministered to a family of 8 whose mother was very ill. After coming home we learned she had cancer. I found out today that she died last night. I worry about her six children.

I'm looking into Spanish schools there. There's so much to consider when planning an overseas move. I pray for wisdom to make good decisions regarding my responsibilities here & how best to transition to there.

0 comments:

Post a Comment